Thursday, February 2, 2012

Baby Shower Cake

This week I made my first baby shower cake. It's a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling, made with 70% Green & Blacks and double cream...nice and healthy!! ;-)

I wasn't sure of a design to use but then I saw these super cute baby clothes cutters at Cakes 4 Fun and the decision was made.
The recipient didn't know if she was having a girl or a boy, so I went for both pink and blue which adds a bit of interest to the cake. It was really simple to make using the cutters and the washing line is just a line of piped royal icing. To make the clothes look slightly more realistic I also piped on buttons and used the end of a piping nozzle to cut in some details.
The finishing touch was the teddy and blocks on the top, which is just teddy bear brown icing (unsurprisingly) with CMC added to stiffen it up. To add the stitch detail, a stitching wheel was used and the eyes are just black paste colour on the end of a cocktail stick and then pushed in to the icing.

The result is a really cute baby shower cake, based on a design by Cakes 4 Fun, which was well received by the baby shower ladies!

22 comments:

  1. This is so super cute!! Love the baby clothes and washing line and the teddy too... make that the whole cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very lovely made! Everything is so neatly cut and placed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunningly beautiful! You are very talented at cake decorating - have you trained or are you self taught? I have always been rubbish at icing so have just started a course and hopefully I will improve!Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This absolutely adorable! I can't stop looking at the cake - the clothes on a line are so cute :) Ahh-mazing, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey moses Laura, this cake is amazing - it must have taken you ages. The washing line is so clever and such a great idea. How clever are you. I bet the parents were absolutely thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - you are so good at this! It is wonderfully cute without having to grab a sick bucket - amazing. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic!! such amazing detail you're really talented!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an cute cake ! Love all the details especially the teddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely adorable, you create such beautiful cakes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such adorable cake! Love the pastel colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, your first baby shower cake and you put all our decorating skills to shame - that is incredible! I especially love the baby blocks on top and the little washing line is so cute! Thanks for entering the giveaway, I hope you win too because you need to taste how good these cheesecakes are! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. The whole cake is beautiful but for me that little washing line that runs around the edge is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for all your lovely comments, glad you like it... I definitely enjoyed making this one!! My favourite part is the clothes on the washing line too!

    If only I could win the lottery and give up work to become a cake decorator!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello from Turkey ... Everything looks delicious hang around your blog, liked it very much ....
    I follow ....

    http://partivaktiblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sevde...glad you like it! :-) The cakes on your blog look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Laura.Your work is so neat. The cake looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Laura, this Cake is fantastic - I have a baby shower this weekend and im on duty for the cake baking - do you have the recipe for this cake? It would be very much appreciated, many thanks

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your work is so clean and neat. I wish I could achieve such a level of perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Could you please post what cutter set you use for the lettering on the blocks? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think they were Tappits cutters...you can find them on amazon or other cake decorating online shops...hope this helps :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!