Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tropical Tumbler Trifle

Something a bit different today...a mini mid-week offering. These Tropical Tumbler Trifles serve two purposes:
  1. I'm having a bit of an oven crisis at the moment...since moving into a new house I've been battling with a new oven that doesn't want to play ball...there have been one or two cake wrecks thus far! So this is a no bake option that doesn't require a temperamental oven!
  2. It is my entry into new blogging challenge 'Dish of the Month'...find out more below.





























This is so simple to make, so if you want something quick and easy or you're having oven problems like me then give this a go. The tropical aspect comes from the hidden surprise in the bottom of the tumbler...banana that has been brought to the boil in coconut milk and then left to cool. You can just see a hint of the banana at the bottom of the glass. On top of this there are sliced peaches, whipped cream with vanilla extract and some crushed ginger nuts.
As mentioned I'm entering my trifles into new challenge, Dish of the Month. All you need to do to enter is make and blog any Nigel Slater recipe, the idea arisng from his Dish of the Day programme. The challenge is being run jointly by Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen and Sue from A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate.
You can find the recipe for these trifles on the BBC GoodFood website. Although a word of warning, if you're thinking about making them then check the ingredient list as the proportions don't seem quite right for two people....500ml double cream for two? I would say you could probably half all the ingredients except the banana and so not to be wasteful, find another use for the coconut milk once used as a boiling liquid. I also used peach slices as they fitted more neatly into the glass.

10 comments:

  1. I saw this recipe on the TV and quite fancied making it so glad you checked out how it went. Looks lovely (I could just eat one). Thanks for joining in. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trifle looks absolutely scrumptious! I will definitely have to try, thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of little trifles in glasses and this one with the coconut milk and banana is such a great idea. Thanks for joining us for Dish of the Month, I hope you will join in next month too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way I'm prepared to believe you would have a cake wreck is with a new / faulty oven you were having trouble with! ;) These little trifles look so tempting, though - very elegant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your oven issues - hope it gets sorted soon! I would be at a loss without an oven! However, this trifle looks fab and sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bananas boiled in coconut milk... that sounds so wonderful. Would love to try your dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    This is well worth a try, I might have to tempt the family this evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! Love the crushed ginger biscuits on top for crunch.. nom!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew somebody else dealing with a dodge new oven!! We're having to consider the possibility of installing gas canisters in order to have a non-electrical hob. I love these little cuties though
    http://coffeewithcroissants.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!