Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Glam Trifle Slice

So my last post was healthy wholemeal spelt muffins...and this is the not so healthy 'Glam Trifle Slice'. However, this one is for a special occasion...and as we know a little treat now and then never hurt anyone! ;-)
I'm really glad I had a go at this trifle...it took a little effort but the results were well worth it. It's one of my favourite creations of the last couple of months. It looks spectacular, although I was having a little difficulty taking any photos that do it justice, and it also tastes fab. This one was definitely a winner with the taste testers.

This would be the ideal dessert for a dinner party or a special occasion. We had this for lunch on New Year's Day. The madeira cake on the bottom is shop bought...although if you want to be super flash, you could make your own. The jelly layer is blitzed with 150g of raspberries and then passed through a sieve, whole raspberries are then added...and this gives it a really intense raspberry flavour. The jelly was a tiny bit on the wobbly side, perhaps due to the addition of the raspberry and it did bulge a little in comparison to the rest of the layers, so next time I might try a sheet or half a sheet of gelatine in this layer too.

The custard is made with a sheet of gelatine so it sets firmly and the cream layer also has gelatine to set it...and the recipe also calls for 3 tablespoons of sherry to add an extra dimension. I only added a tablespoon of sherry but I'd probably go for 2 next time. In addition to double cream, the top layer also has mascarpone and icing sugar in it.
This dessert was made in a loaf tin lined with cling film and parchment paper. Once set and turned out the whole thing was finished off with piped cream and sprinkles on top. I ever so slightly over-whipped the cream so it wasn't quite as smooth as I would have liked but overall I was really impressed with this recipe and I will certainly be making it again in the future and it may be destined to become a favourite pudding recipe.

If you'd like to make this 'Glam Trifle Slice' yourself, you can find the recipe here at BBC GoodFood.


30 comments:

  1. I love these Laura! Such a great idea and so lovely to look at too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it does look like it was hard work, but it is spectacular! So pretty, it would definitely be a very special dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I love all the different layers. My family are diehard trifle fans so they would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glam it certainly is ! Looks stunning and would be fabulous for a Summer party, minus the custard for me though ;)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, really stunning! A lot of effort but the results look well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, this is truly gorgeous! The layers are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so damn glam!... I'm loving the clearly labelled layers... thank you for that and thank you for the stunning pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap that looks incredible! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be trying this.

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Those layers are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love it Laura, I've been struggling to find ways to update the look of my beloved trifle. This will be on my family's dinner table within the week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You are getting better and better! This reminds me of the cakes I used to see in posh cafes in Vienna. It looks very elegant and it must be sooo tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tore this recipe out of BBC Good Food thinking it looked rather fabulous. I'm glad to hear it tastes as good as it looks. You've done an amazing job at recreating it. It looks just like the magazine picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! How much work was that? Looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a trifle fan but I love the look of this - so much more elegant than the usual dollop from a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed at how neat this looks!! There is inevitably a trifle or two over the festive period in our house, but it is usually a sloppy -but delicious -mess!
    http://coffeewithcroissants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. It didn't actually take too long to make as such...about ten minutes or so per layer but about an hour or so in between each of the jelly, custard and cream layers! Not too difficult either!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! I was drooling over this in Good Food a while back and thinking how I wanted to make it but reckoned mine but just be a quivering, collapsed mess. Yours looks perfect! Great photo of the slice too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Laura,

    Although this trifle is not "healthy" to eat but it is surely very glam to indulge... Its multiple layers in the shade of pinks look very pretty.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!!!! there is sooooo much goodness in this trifle... it's calling me to eat it!!!! can you hear it calling? coz i hear it loud and clear.... hahah ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy! Wow looks great and so neat... If I tried to be that neat it would just be splodge, splodge. Whipped cream, splodge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing!!!!!!!! this recipe is fantastic! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laura, that looks awesome!! I love trifle, so this one is definitely being added to my 'must create' list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a seriously glam tifle, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very pretty and delish trifle cake!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woah Laura - what a triumph! This is such a great idea, love the layering effect in each slice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! You are very talented

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!