Sunday, January 20, 2013

Biscuity Lime Pie

Well the weather outside may be cold and dull but this Biscuity Lime Pie will certainly add some zing to your life! It has no less than the zest and juice of 4 limes and a lemon. This is a lovely idea for an easy to make dessert.
The case is made by blitzing ginger nut biscuits and then combining them with some melted butter. This mixture was then pressed into a fluted 10 x 34cm rectangular tin which makes this pie look really pretty and it definitely adds to the appeal. The case was baked on it's own for 15 minutes.
The zingy filling was made using sweetened condensed milk, sugar, egg yolks, the zests and juices from the limes and lemons. It's really hard to describe the result, it tastes quite like lime meringue pie filling but slightly more mousse like! Once the filling is added, it goes back in the oven for a further 20 minutes.
You only need a small slice of this pie, it's very sweet and citrusy but it's guaranteed to tingle your taste buds. It was alittle bit too much for me. If the citrus is a bit too overpowering, you could always reduce the number of limes to 2 or 3. So for a little slice of sunshine on a plate, give this Biscuity Lime Pie a go! :-)
I'm entering my pie into this month's Tea Time Treats as the theme is Citrus. Tea Time Treats is hosted by Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Kate at What Kate Baked. Karen is hosting this month and you can find out more by visiting her blog.
 
Ingredients

300g ginger nut biscuits (I had a 250g pack of gingernuts so I made it up to 300g with digestives)
100g butter
3 egg yolks
50g golden caster sugar
4 limes, zest and juice (this is extremely citrusy, if you prefer you could reduce the limes to 3)
1 lime to garnish if required
1 lemon, zest and juice
397g can condensed milk

Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 4. Put the biscuits into a food processor and blitz so you end up with crumbs. If you don't particularly like gingernuts you could make this recipe with digestives. Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave and then pour over the biscuit crumbs. Pulse the mixture until it is combined.

This recipe calls for a 10 x 34cm fluted rectangular tart tin which gives a really professional finish to this pie. Tip the biscuit and butter mix into the tin and press it into the base and up the sides. I ended up pressing it in initially with my fingers and then used the back of a spoon. Bake for 15 minutes until nice and crisp.

Next make the filling by beating the eggs, sugar and lemon and lime zests together in a bowl using an electric whisk. They should double in size. At this point mix in the condensed milk and then add the citrus juices.

Pour the filling into the baked case and then put back in the oven for another 20 minutes. When ready the filling should be just set and there should  be a little bit of a wobble in the middle. Place on the side to cool and set completely before removing from the tin. This needs to be done very carefully as the biscuits are quite crumbly. Chill until ready to serve. Slice to serve and to add aesthetic appeal, top with thin slices of lime.

* Adapted from the BBC GoodFood website

27 comments:

  1. I love limes in baking (funnily enough I'm doing Nigel Slater's lime pie today for Dish of the Month), and this looks gorgeous. The ginger biscuits add a lovely warmth of their own in this version. It looks really pretty, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, this looks fabulous Laura. I'm a sucker for a crushed biscuit base and I love using it for lemon meringue rather than pastry. So it's right up my street :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Key lime pie is so good!! I like the idea of using ginger nuts instead of digestive biscuit too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a delightful tart! Love the baking tray too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely, a classic tangy pie :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning presentation and awesome photos - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh this looks so amazing and your photography/presentation is amazing. I love LOVE key lime pie and this is definitely a recipe I want to try. Thanks for sharing!

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so pretty! And four limes- a brilliant citrus kick to the creamy sweet filling. Although I doubt I could only stick to a very small slice... Thank you very much for entering this into TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pie is so gorgeous! I love how pretty it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only ever made the lemon version of this and absoluteldy love it. Will definitely try with limes next time. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love limes and this looks so delish. Love the dish it was baked in too, something a bit different.

    x Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just what I need to cheer me up in January, it looks great. I don't like ginger nuts though, do you reckon digestives would be good?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very refreshing cake. Looks stunning too. You are a real baker Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, delicious and a very nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds tangy!looks lovely,I'm not a pie person but this i wouldn't mind attempting. your new layout is lovely. http://mycupcakehabit.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Laura,

    Love your new look! Like you said, these limes do look like little sunshine and your pie look very tropical with these little sunshine. It all sounds like a preview for the coming summer for you.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zingy indeed! I love anything lime, and it's nice to see a little slice of something summery in this bleak January!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just finished the last slice...I daren't look at how many calories there were...but it's blue Monday today...the most depressing day of January...so this lime pie definitely brightened my day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. that picture of your crust looks beautiful! i haven't had a key lime pie in months but now, i can't get it off of my mind...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do an unbaked lime pie (v lazy) but love your baked version - the rectangular shape looks really elegant. I always use ginger nuts for my base too - I love the flavour of them with the limes and I think they stay crunchier than digestives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a photogenic little pie! The rectangle shape makes it very stylish. Love the sound of a zesty sweet lime filling with a ginger biscuit base.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful lime pie. I also love how easy it is to prepare. :) The cutrusy flavor is going to brightens up any day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely pie & I love lime too! I can eat more than a slice of this tangy pie! YUM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so beautiful Laura! I absolutely adore anything lime...and I was especially glad to see you just called it 'lime pie'...far too many UK bloggers call their lime recipes 'key lime' when they've only used regular limes (I now have access to bags and bags of key limes though which is pretty exciting) it drives me crazy! I have a feeling I could devour this whole pie in one sitting! I'm definitely going to try my next key lime pie in a dish like this, it's so visually appealing!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. MGWIN88 สล็อตออนไลน์ คาสิโนออนไลน์ และ หวยออนไลน์ สล็อตออนไลน์ สมาชิกสามารถเลือก พนันออนไลน์ ได้ภายในเว็บเดียว สมัครเอ็มจีวิน88@mgwin

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!