Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mini Mississippi Mud Pies

Another month...another last minute entry into Random Recipes. Following last month's challenge of baking the recipe at the front and/or back of your randomly selected recipe book...this month we had the middle!
I started writing this post yesterday at nearly midnight and having revisited today I think I may have been a bit harsh on this recipe so after the taste testers had a little nibble today I'm revising to a more favourable opinion!! However, after both Lemon & Limoncello Mini Cupcakes and Window Cookies last month, the middle of this month's random recipe book didn't quite live up!
The book I selected this month was Mini Pies by Sara Lewis, it's a nice little book with lots of cute bakes and on page 40 of 80 were these Mississipi Mud Pies. I've been looking forward to making them and to be fair they didn't turn out too badly but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
The pastry seemed to turn out ok, I haven't done a lot of baking with pastry and I think really it could just do with a bit of neatening up. The book also suggests a nice recipe for hazelnut pastry which would also be great in a mud pie. I'm going to try and make a few more pastry recipes soon as a bit of a challenge I think!

The best thing about this recipe is that I got to use baking beans, they've been sat in my cupboard unused for ages. I was a bit worried about the pastry sticking to my tin as the recipe just stated to just press it straight in, so I greased and floured the muffin tin. This did the trick as they came out easily but it also left white floury marks on the pastry case, so next time I would probably just grease the tin.
Last night I think the main problem was the filling, the recipe states plain chocolate but I think maybe a nice bit of Green & Blacks would do the trick...it might even taste nice with some orange flavoured chocolate for something a bit different. When I made the filling it was too runny despite following the instructions to the letter, so it certainly wasn't set after the stated two hours in the fridge but this morning when I woke up, as if by magic it had really firmed up. Although if I was making these again I'd probably recommend making a classic ganache which would be perfect.
Once the filling set, it just needed a dollop of cream and some chocolate curls to finish it off. The light cream against the dark truffle-like filling provides a good visual contrast. So overall probably a 6 out of 10 for this recipe...could be great with a bit of experimentation and a few tweaks! :-)
*Update: I'm also entering these Mississippi Mud Pies into the United Bakes of America Challenge by Cupcake Grazy Gem. If you've not visited her blog before you really should, there are all sorts of inventive bakes and many are inspired by the US of A! I've been meaning to enter for a while and these mud pies are perfect! You can enter any American inspired bake...check out further details by clicking through to Cupcake Crazy Gem.
Shortcrust Pastry Ingredients

325g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
85g unsalted butter
85g vegetable shortening
4-4 1/2 tbsp cold water
Weigh out all the ingredients except the water into a food processor and blitz. The mixture should take on a breadcrumb like texture. Then with the processor still on, gradually add in the water until the pastry just comes together. Turn it out and form into a ball and then wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan/ gas 5. Roll out the pastry fairly thinly on a floured surface. Cut out 10cm circles with a cutter and gently press into the holes of a muffin tin. The recipe did not suggest greasing the tin but I was very unsure whether they'd come out so I did.

Prick the bottom of each pie with a fork and then line each pie with a crumpled square of baking paper before filling with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven and remove the baking beans and paper. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to ensure you don't get a soggy bottom!

Chocolate Filling
100g plain chocolate, chopped
125ml semi-skimmed milk
1 egg
2 tbsp icing sugar

Heat and melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water (or the microwave). Whilst the chocolate is melting, whisk together the milk, egg and sugar. Once melted, remove the chocolate from the heat and gradually add the egg mixture, mixing as you go. Finally, pour into the cases.

Chantilly Cream

225ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar

Whisk the cream and icing sugar together to form soft peaks. Spoon the cream on top of each pie. I used a piping bag with a round nozzle for a neater finish. To decorated add some white and dark chocolate curls.

* Adapted from Mini Pies by Sara Lewis

16 comments:

  1. Still looks good even if your perfectionist self thinks it's only so so. They can't all be perfect - although they still look perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I think us bakers are too hard on ourselves sometimes. I haven't braved pastry yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful. I love the idea of mini pies I bet there are some wonderful recipes in that book! The pastry is a stunner! I love my baking beans so I'm glad you had success with your first try. Thanks so much for entering this month. Always lovely to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! I bet they're just as yummy as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A "bit of a perfectionist"?? Girl all your bakes are perfect and that includes this one also! Lovely tarts and love the cream on top :D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, these pies are calling my name :) Love it from the crust to the chantilly topping. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely presentation with these Mississipi Mud Pies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These mini pies look so yummy - a perfect little individual dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectly made these little cakes. Love the look of them and they must be delicious. Yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I truly with I had one right now!! Clever dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! these look so super cute, I love the mini variation! You should have entered these into United Bakes, they would have been perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they look really good! I'm sure they tasted good too looking at the ingredient list! I've not had a chance to use my baking beans either so just remedy that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe I was a bit hard on them! I want to do some more pastry baking though, needs lots of practise I think!

    Gem...Doh, definitely would have entered if I'd thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious...love the wallpaper too.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!