Sunday, March 25, 2012

Crunchy Citrus Ricotta Scones

This month's theme for Teatime treats is Scones which is quite fortunate as scones are one of my all time favourite things...give me an afternoon tea with jam, clotted cream and a cuppa and I'm happy...incidentally the scones have to be fruit but that's another story! However, it would be a fairly boring challenge if everybody made run of the mill scones...we were encouraged by the teatime treats hosts, Lavender and Lovage and What Kate Baked, to think about slightly more unusual offerings.
I didn't go as far as savoury scones as I'm all about the sweet things in life but I did make a slightly unusual crunchy citrus scone with the main ingredient being ricotta cheese. Sounds like a very strange combination but I can confirm that they were indeed crunchy and citrusy...with no hint of the ricotta! The recipe also produced a scone round as opposed to individual scones. The crunchy part comes from a liberal sprinkling of demerara sugar on top before baking.
Although, these scones won't be winning any beauty contests they tasted pretty darn good, especially whilst still warm and with a little lemon curd....so who cares! :-)
Ingredients

175g ricotta
Zest of 1 orange - finely grated
100g golden caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
50g  butter
1-2 tbsp milk
1tbsp demerara sugar

Heat the oven to 200c/180c fan/gas 6. Mix the ricotta, orange zest and half the caster sugar in a bowl until well combined. In another bowl, sift the flour and add the other half of the caster sugar, finally add the butter which should be cut into small cubes. You should then rub this flour mixture together until it resembles fine bread crumbs.

Add the ricotta mixture to your flour mix and bring it together to form a dough, you can add the milk at this stage if necessary but be careful not to make the dough too sticky. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times, so it is not so craggy but don't over knead. The dough should then be pressed out to a depth of 4cm and form it into a neat round.

Then using a knife mark 6 wedges across the top. Finally, brush the scone with milk and if necessary sprinkle a little flour on top before sprinkling over demerara sugar to give the crunchy top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until brown on top.

These scones taste delicious warm and served with a little lemon curd. Enjoy!

* Adapted from BBC GoodFood

17 comments:

  1. Warm with lemon curd?! Well Helllllloooooooooo! Really enjoying reading all the brilliantly unique and inspired scone recipes this month- thank you for entering TTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative! They look delicious!

    I wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award and The Sunshine Award! You can check out http://cookingactress.blogspot.com/2012/03/whaaa-more-awards.html to find out more :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, I love a giant round scone like this... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound great. I really like ricotta in baking but have never tried it in scones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep I can confirm that they were indeed extremely tasty!!

    The Cooking Actress...thanks so much for the awards...I'll be over to check them out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound delicious and an unusual combination. I'm ashamed to admit I'm currently baking boring cheese scones! They look pretty good to me and sound very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum orange scones..what a delight that must have been! love your blog and your posts are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh YESSS! Those are my kind of scones, especially when served with LEMON CURD! They look amazing and are a fabulous entry into this months' Tea Time Treats! THANKS for baking these for the tea time table!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scones reminded me of a jar of lemon curd that my friend gave me..hmm your recipe might just be handy! Great scones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely recipe. I love ricotta in cakes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not made scones with ricotta before and these are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look lovely! I made scones for the first time recently & intend to try and make all different types now so I might have to give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best scones are always the wonkiest in my opinion! And I bet the ricotta and citrus were lovely together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all about the sweet things in life too. Wishing I had one of your scones for breakfast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love scones and I bet these taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love scones and I love baking scones. These look delicious. I like the orange zest in them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!