Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cake Club: New Year, New You

This Thursday was the second meeting of the Cakes 4 Fun cake club. Unfortunately the first rule of cake club is not to talk about cake club... however, as a baking blogger this could prove rather difficult!

The theme for this month was New Year, New You. I was a little short on time and imagination this month, so my healthy cake consisted of baking with blueberries and using low fat cream cheese! Some of the other cake clubbers were far more imaginative with cakes such as chocolate and courgette, as well as another chocolate cake which was butter and flour free!
My offering was a Blueberry Soured Cream Cake with Cheesecake Frosting, and you can find the recipe here on BBC GoodFood. I discovered a little too late that I didn't have the size of tin specified in the recipe, I only had a larger one. So I baked my cake for less time but it was rather shallow when it came out of the tin. I therefore made a second one exactly the same and sandwiched them together with lemon curd. In order to prevent my blueberries from sinking in the cake, I also washed and floured them... which seemed to work!
Overall, this wasn't a bad cake, a little sweet but certainly tasty! Next month's theme is 'Anything Goes... except Chocolate!'. So if you are around the London area and fancy joining us for cake, wine and chat, then check out the Cakes 4 Fun website.

4 comments:

  1. Shame I couldn't make it this month. Your blueberry soured cream cake looks amazing and definitely very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a lovely cake. I'm on the lookout for healthier cake recipes for my mum's birthday next month and so far this is my favourite. It's a very pretty cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking Addict it was a shame you couldn't come along...maybe March after you've been to San Fran!

    Jo - it was very tasty but not entirely healthy...but we can pretend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    I'd be interested in joining the next Cake Club, but I can't see any info on the Cakes 4 Fun site. How do I find out when it is? Thanks

    G

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!