Friday, October 28, 2011

Autumnal Cake Competition

Well having been on a fair few cake decorating courses now I thought I ought to put my skills to good use and try and design a cake of my own. So this is my entry for the Cakes 4 Fun autumn cake competition. The pumpkin on the top is based on one of Debbie Brown's easy party cakes and was made using madeira cakes cooked in small pyrex bowls and then sandwiched together...I was quite pleased with the result as I wasn't quite sure what to expect! To decorate the bottom layer I used a range of FMM leaf cutters and a whole array of autumn dusting colours. Then just to give it those final autumnal touches I added some acorns, blackberries and pine cones using DPM fruit and nut moulds...these were then dusted and glazed to give a great realistic effect. I'm not sure if my entry will win the competition as there are some other great cakes...but fingers crossed!         


2 comments:

  1. Yay...I'm pleased to say that my cake won the competition...which is great, so I now get to attend another course at the fabulous Cakes4Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you won the competition. This cake is amazing and what a clever idea to use pyrex bowls to get that round shape.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!